Saturday 26 October 2013

Oops, my mistake.

Two weeks ago I posted a map on my Facebook page. This map showed the location of my Grandparent’s house in 1966, when they lived in Anchorage, Alaska, compared to the location of the Latter Day Saints Family History Centre.

It wasn’t until after I had posted it & shown my Mum that I realized I’d gotten it wrong. I had retrieved the Anchorage address off a few old letters written from my Grandma to my Great Grandparents that year. I thought the address said ‘Arctic Circle.’ Nope. It said ‘Arctic Boulevard.’ How my brain decided to read Boulevard as Circle beats me. It was then that I discovered that Arctic Circle & Arctic Boulevard are two very different streets.

Incorrect Map:

 Correct Map:












I made a mistake. I was wrong, and I’m not afraid to admit it either. It’s easy to make mistakes in genealogy, especially when you’re just starting out. But sometimes, it’s not easy to admit that we were wrong.

Well folks, it’s okay to be wrong!


I’d been thinking about correcting the map for a few days when on Friday, my partner in blogging Heather, posted something on our Young & Savvy Genealogists blog. The post is titled ‘Learning: How To Be Wrong’ and can be found here. When I saw the title, I thought it couldn’t have come at a more perfect time! Everyone should go read it. It hits the nail on the head. A hole in one really.

No comments:

Post a Comment